Tuesday, November 3, 2009

an ode to TS Eliot

- Where is the Life we have lost in living?
Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?
Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?

- The last temptation is the greatest treason:
To do the right deed for the wrong reason.

- And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you:
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.

- In my end is my beginning

-And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.

- Between the idea
And the reality
Between the emotion
And the act
Falls the Shadow.

- This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.

- Because I do not hope to turn again
Because I do not hope
Because I do not hope to turn

- The intolerable wrestle
With words and meanings.

- Time present and time past
Are both perhaps present in time future,
And time future contained in time past.